A few simple halftime activities can supercharge your metabolism, release some of your pent-up game anxiety, and lessen the toll of cheese curls and hotdogs on your waistline. See how many of these you can get your family to do.
1. Do the wave from your couch. One person begins by standing up, throwing their arms into the air, then sitting down. The next person begins immediately after the first person sits down, the third as soon as the second, and so forth. This simulated wave gets the blood flowing.
2. Demonstrate your favorite end zone or celebration dance. Each person can create his or her own dance, or imitate a favorite player’s.
3. Time each family member to see who can run to the fridge, grab a canned beverage, and make it back to the starting point the fastest. The person with the best time gets their first choice of beverage.
4. Wait for a car or beverage commercial on the TV; try to get each person to do five push-ups (or another exercise of your choice) before the commercial runs its course.
5. See which family member can hold a wall sit the longest. With your back touching the wall, move your feet away from the wall so that the wall is supporting you. Bend your knees so that your legs form a 90-degree angle.
6. Strike a pose. You can choose to pose like the Heisman Trophy, lunging forward, arm extended, football held tightly, or you can make up one of your own. See who can hold a pose the longest, or judge each one for difficulty and originality.
Any activity you choose will help rev up your metabolism.
These activities can be a fun way to engage your family in exercise without missing your favorite ball games.
Watch out for the furniture!
Begin any activity gradually.